From the Back Cover
Learn about home-scale wind energy without getting blown away!
Are you thinking about exploring ways you can limit yourhome’s environmental impact, but you’re not sure whethera wind-energy system is right for you? Wind Power For Dummies gives you real-world, easy-to-understand tips and information on each step in the process of acquiring, installing, and maintaining a home-scale wind-energy system. Plus, you’ll learn how to assess your current energy use, increase your home’s energy efficiency, and determine your site’s wind-energy potential.
- Getting a wind primer — determine whether wind energy is right for you, understand the parts of a basic wind-electric system, and discover basic electricity and wind-energy principles
- Assessing your situation — get a realistic understanding of your site’s wind-energy potential and check out alternate options to using wind energy
- Assembling your system — find helpful advice on designing your wind-electric system, whether you’re doing it yourself or working with experts
- Installing and operating your system — use trusted tips on safely installing, living with, maintaining, and enjoying your wind-electric system
Open the book and find:
- Electricity basics defined in clear English
- Vital wind-energy principles
- Advice on how to conduct a home energy assessment
- Tips on how to increase your home’s energy efficiency
- Information on how wind energy will affect your wallet
- The basic requirements for a productive, long-lasting system
- Fundamentals on system sizing and design
About the Author
Ian Woofenden is a Senior Editor with Home Power magazine, the Northwest & Costa Rica Coordinator with Solar Energy International, and a wind-energy author, consultant, and instructor. He has been living off-grid with his family and several wind generators for almost 30 years.
The consumer guide to small-scale wind electricity production! Maybe you’re not T. Boone Pickens, but you can build your own home-sized wind-power empire right in your back yard. Wind Power For Dummies supplies all the guidance you need to install and maintain a sustainable, cost-effective wind generator to power your home for decades to come. This authoritative, plain-English guide walks you through every step of the process, from assessing your site and available wind sources to deciding whether wind power is the solution for you, from understanding the mechanics of wind power and locating a contractor to install your system to producing your own affordable and sustainable electricity. Guides you step by step through process of selecting, installing, and operating a small-scale wind generator to power your home Demystifies system configurations, terminology, and wind energy principles to help you speak the language of the pros Helps assess and reduce your energy needs and decide whether wind power is right for you Explains the mechanics of home-based wind power Shows you how to tie into the grid and sell energy back to the power company Offers advice on evaluating all of the costs of and financing for your project Provides tips on working with contractors and complying with local zoning laws Yes, you can do it, with a little help from Wind Power For Dummies.